footy fever in brazil

Posted on Updated on

As the Australian National anthem is being sung, the reality of being here, in Brazil, finally sinks in. We both got goosebumps (despite it being subtropical temperatures) and we got a bit emotional as we squeezed each others hands, singing at the top of our lungs with pride.

IMG_8961

Australia loses to Chile 2-1 and then loses to the Netherlands 3-2 several days later but it doesn’t matter. We are so proud of how the Socceroos played, the whole country should be proud. Australia gained a LOT of respect from supporters of all nations!

Following the game yesterday against the Netherlands, everyone (that are not Australian) have been really encouraging and supportive. After the Netherlands onslaught against Spain, people were “dooming” the chances of the Socceroos. We were getting all types of reaction before the game, everything from sympathy and jokes about Australia not scoring.

Twenty-four hours on, we hope the Socceroos have silenced their critics.

We thought we knew what footy fever meant but until we experienced football and World Cup in Brazil …. it has taken on a completely different meaning for us.

IMG_9134 IMG_9037

The entire country is immersed in green and gold (supporting Brazil, of course) with no one getting off lightly. But those who know,  Australian sporting colours are green and gold too, so we feel like home here, except at games where the other countries are very well represented.

IMG_8958

IMG_9221

Every TV no matter where we turn has the game on when its game time. Even on the plane as we fly, everyone is glued to the TV.

IMG_9004

The atmosphere is sensational and the games itself could not be more full of energy. We are one week into the World Cup 2014 and 21 games have been played so far. England are playing Uruguay as Le writes (with one eye on the TV) and David with both eyes on the TV. We are in the hotel lobby and all the staff are lined up watching the TV too.

IMG_9241

One more Australia game for us to attend but that doesn’t mean the World Cup ends for us. It goes on up until that last game is played, even if it means watching it at some godly hour when we get home to Sydney.  Because it is only once every 4 years for one month where footy fever infects (on a world scale)!

Advertisements

32 thoughts on “footy fever in brazil

the eternal traveller said:
    June 21, 2014 at 7:59 pm

It’s great to hear that you are both having such a wonderful time. It was worth that very long flight.

June 21, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Absolutely…. what long flight? 😉
      Actually – its almost the same long flight back! Yikes! But we’ll worry about it when we need to!
      Hope you are well!

the eternal traveller said:
        June 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Don’t think about it until you’re back on the plane. I’m very well, and counting the days till the end of the school term. This time next week I’ll be in Perth!

June 22, 2014 at 12:01 am

Woooooo!! Enjoy the last few days of term and enjoy Perth 🙂

the eternal traveller said:
            June 22, 2014 at 6:23 am

I will. Travel stories to follow when I’m home again.

June 22, 2014 at 8:36 am

Look forward to hearing/reading them!

emmapostcard said:
    June 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm

What an amazing experience to watch your team play in the world cup. I’m struggling keeping my emotions under control watching England via the TV, I would be a wreck watching them live!

June 21, 2014 at 12:29 pm

LOL – yeh, we got pretty vocal. We had spectators in the box beside us, film us… out of pure fascination at our reactions! Look out for us on YouTube 😉
      But the experience is simply unreal. Nothing in our wildest imaginations! We are so glad we have chosen to do this.
      PS – Sorry about England… both our teams will have to aim for 2018!!

Just Another Nature Enthusiast said:
    June 21, 2014 at 7:23 am

Your accounts of the games… far better than any newscast. Glad you had such a glorious time!

June 21, 2014 at 7:25 am

Thanks Jane!! What a wonderful compliment 🙂 You have us both beaming and blushing!! Can’t believe we only have only a few days left.

The GypsyNesters said:
    June 21, 2014 at 1:39 am

How cool that you got to experience the world cup first hand! We are jealous.

June 21, 2014 at 6:48 am

It is an experience not to be missed!! The excitement is just contagious 🙂 so glad we chose to do it!! Ahhh… You guys have done much more that we are jealous of!!

Savvy Kenya (@savvykenya) said:
    June 20, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I watched Australia play Netherlands and oh my, what spirited play!

For a moment there, I thought I saw Wise Monkeys in the crowd when the camera zoomed to Aussie supporters 🙂

Mabel Kwong said:
    June 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm

It does look like one big celebration there in Brazil. Those crowds really prove it and I guess no one is thinking about work and it’s probably the best time to make friends. What a joyous atmosphere to be in and glad to see both you Monkeys making the most of it. Hope you guys brought back some souvenirs and lots of happy snaps to remember the occasion 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Lots of happy snaps 🙂 – surprisingly hardly any souvenirs are available! We are only here for another 5 days so need to be sure to track stuff down 🙂

Mabel Kwong said:
        June 20, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Good to hear. I look forward to seeing the photos. It’s a trip of a lifetime, no doubt, so make the most of it 🙂 See a bit of Brazil, but also keep your eye on the soccer 😉

June 21, 2014 at 1:25 am

Actually think it’s the other way around – we are seeing more soccer and only keeping an eye on Brazil 😉

nepaliaustralian said:
    June 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

I really thing Australia played so well with Netherlands. I can’t imagine how you were feeling when Australia was leading as I was at the edge of my sofa. I am hoping Australia goona win against Spain and it will be all worth it even though we are not going to next round :). Good luck to us .

June 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Ah – yes! We were screaming our hearts out and those around us were more intrigued by our emotions than with the game! When we scored, they were filming our reaction.. Don’t know how many people have us in their phones now… LOL
      Fingers crossed the Socceroos can get up on Spain even by 1 😉

Shikha Kothari said:
    June 20, 2014 at 9:49 am

So glad to hear that you are having the best time in Brazil!

June 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Shikha!! An experience we will never forget!

thetravellush said:
    June 20, 2014 at 9:33 am

That’s awesome that you’re able to experience with World Cup in Brazil! I’m currently traveling in Colombia. And it’s absolute madness over here…I can’t even imagine what it would be like in Brazil. What an amazing experience. Enjoy 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thank you 🙂 It is insane (in a great way)!!
      Never in our wildest dreams did we expect to err experience this but it’s the best decision we made to come here for this!! Enjoy Colombia – they will be partying hard with how well they are going, no doubt!!

Curt Mekemson said:
    June 20, 2014 at 8:15 am

I once ended up staying at the same motel in the Bay Area as Brazil’s Soccer team. It was quite a kick (appropriate, eh). Anyway, it sounds like you guys are having more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. 🙂 –Curt

ourworldheritagebe said:
    June 20, 2014 at 6:25 am

You guys scored a magnificent goal yesterday! Didn’t give you half a chance before the game, but there you go : in football you can never tell 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 6:55 am

Yeh, we think that goal was magnificent too – but there probably is bias in us saying that so it’s great to hear someone else say it 😉 Belgium played well – you guys must be happy!

CrazyChineseFamily said:
    June 20, 2014 at 6:17 am

I usually never watch football and this even though I am from Germany. I grew up in a society where every child is playing football and I on the otherhand was swimming…
    Sure I tried to follow football to be “with” the other kids but I had just no interest, however the World Cup is something I watch every four year with passion. I do not know why but somehow it is addicting for me 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 9:52 pm

We are the same! Football (or soccer) is really not big at home for us except World Cup time! It must be having world-class games on that we too find addictive! 🙂

leave us a comment...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s